BMW k1100 16v 1380 conversion

Visa upp din bil och läs om andras projekt
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

Re: BMW k1100 16v 1380 conversion

Inlägg av silverbullet 96 »

I took out the old SPi fuel pump and fitted the new after market MPI pump for minispares, which seems like it has come via a supplier Glencoe (they seem decent)

https://www.minispares.com/product/Clas ... o%20search

No fitting instructons included

I searched a bit on here and over at the 16v forum and i found bits and pieces of info but nothing comprehensive. So I thought I would document my process, with the hope it might help others. Though, this is not a definite guide, just how I did it. Any input appreciated.

So here is the old (larger) pump out if the tank and the new Mpi pump layed beside

Bild

Old pump removed, I wanted to use the base support the old pump rested on, but that meant the pipe that connects to the pump was too long.

Bild

I cut about 25mm of the pipe and deburred and filed the end round.

Bild

New pump installed, I have seen others cable tie the pump on to support it better. I felt this pulled the pump too much. I had some thicker fuel hose so I added that to the return pipe and then cable tied it all together.

Then the wiring: Large speed connector to Live and the smaller to Ground.
Bild
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

I bought a 180 U shaped silicon hose for the head to block coolant (due to the dry decking). However, the crank breather is kinda in the way, so i had to trim fair bit of the hose, in the end i wasn't really happy with the fitting. I will instead run 2 90 degree hoses with a join. Here is one 90 fitted (needs trimmed), i just need to buy another.

Bild

I also fitted the new standard crank dampener and torqued it up.

Bild
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

Some final bits :

4.2 inch MED water pump pulley
nippon denso alternator
Engine mount "plate" all the way from Barcelona (wasn't the easiest to find)
a 90 degree hose and connectors.

Well the 4.2 inch pulley clears the oil hose perfectly.

Bild

It is amazing how small the denso alternator is!

Bild

Seems like the 90 degree hose i tried to use before was pretty poorly made, I.E it wasn't actually 90 degrees. the new ones seems to fit much better. I will order one more and use a joiner and it will clear the crank breather just fine.

Bild

Seems like the fan will not clear the oil hose. This hose had been a bit of a pain (see water pulley issue above). It was supplied as an add on to the kit. I think i will need to shorten the "legs" both sides of the cam belt.

Next up is the clearance between the crank damper/trigger wheel and the radiator/engine mount bracket.

Bild

Bild

I have now removed some material form the bracket and slotted the holes for the radiator part, should work now….
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

I looked at the alternator fitting.

This nice little adjuster arrived, put together by a small company selling on ebay, customer service great. I love these small firms.

Bild

Looks alright fitted. It fouls the bottom of the alternator a bit, so i will need some spacers.

Bild

Speaking of the alternator, I will need to file about 8mm form the ear to bring the pulleys in line. Also is there any thing wrong with mounting it like this at the top ear? I.e just bolted to the water pump hole?

Bild

Bild
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

A little more progress tonight. I am not quick as I had hoped, but thats how it is with work and everything "getting" in the way.

A quick reflection: I used to smile at some builds on here and think that people enjoyed tinkering with and building their cars more than they did driving them. I am however starting too understand the appeal of taking time and enjoying the process. I am fairly enjoying myself, having never really done anything like this before (if you hadn't noticed) but I cannot wait to drive it.

Some little bits done tonight:
Alternator filled down to bring the pulleys in line. I did it with a hand file as i didn't dare screw it up with the grinder. Took ages.

Bild

There as a hole where the original crank sensor was, having looked for a blanking plate without success, i decided to buy a second hand sensor on ebay for the pricey sum of 99p. cut all the wires off etc:

Bild

Finally put together the two 90 degree hoses on the water way for the dry deck. after trimming I was left with about a 1/4 of the hose left. An alloy joiner in the middle and everything fitted - just. It is real tight for space. The steady bracket needed trimming to fit.

Bild

Bild

Bild
Carson

Inlägg av Carson »

Nice work, engine looks incredible
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

Well the journey between my two garages with the engine began:

Bild

Even managed to get my girlfriend involved.
Bild

Bild

Dogs were as happy as I was.

Bild

Ta Da:

Bild

Bild

Even the bonnet doesn't fit anywhere as near as bad as i thought. This is teh standard bonnet still with the brace etc. I do plan to lift the rear so , it should be fine with a bit of the bracing removed.
Bild
Robert_V

Inlägg av Robert_V »

Really nice!. Great work!
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

Cooper-74

Inlägg av Cooper-74 »

Great :D ! Mycket imponerad att du som väl knappt sysslat med motorbyggen innan kan skruva ihop något så extremt!
Bromsbänken nästa?
Om Joseph Lucas uppfann mörkret så är det Robert Bosch som står för alla svarta hål i rymden!
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

Kicked a lazy Sunday of with trying to decide which bonnet to use.

Bild

I tried my old bonnet in vain, It just wouldn't work.

A member of TMF sent me his old bonnet. it is a MK1 style and while I could add a lip or buy a new grill, I still had a slight clearance issue.

Next up the Arc angels bonnet, which I decided to go with.

I had bought some neat little fasteners, The way they work meant it went possible to mount them in the bottom corners, which was my intension. Since they need a reasonably flat place i decided to mount then here:

Bild

These little brackets, took me longer than you can imagine to make: (as did the adjustment of the pins). Bonnet doesn't fit too bad for fibre glass.

Bild

Tackled the throttle cable again, I added one 90 bicycle brake channel at the bulk head and line where the throttle cable enters the throttle bodies.

Bild

Still need adjustment, as I took the car for its first drive and the throttle was sticking, made for an exciting drive. The little distance I did drive it I could tell that it is quick.

Bild
Användarens profilbild
Gerry
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Gerry »

Imponerade bygge!!!
Hoppas vi hamnar på samma träff någon gång, för den där skulle jag vilja höra/se på riktigt.
Carson

Inlägg av Carson »

wow i am amazed, let us know the end result from road testing, videos if possible
Användarens profilbild
silverbullet 96

Got a nice letter from SFRO today.

The build and final inspection was approved two weeks ago, but this decision had to be approved by a controller. That approval came today.

And a nice comment:

Bild
Cooper-74

Inlägg av Cooper-74 »

Då är det en till som förstått hur trevliga dessa bilar är!
"Retardationsprov 0,95G"
Verkar som bromsarna tar bra!! :D
Besiktningen nästa?!!
Om Joseph Lucas uppfann mörkret så är det Robert Bosch som står för alla svarta hål i rymden!
Skriv svar